Darts have been a fun pastime for a long time. But knowing which darts to choose and knowing the differences can be confusing. So, what’s the difference between traditional steel tips and soft tip darts?
Those who’ve been playing darts for a long time claim that steel tips are the best type, whereas players newer to the game are more open to soft tips. The truth is that either type of dart has its benefits and drawbacks.
This article will explain the differences between steel tip and soft tip darts.
Soft Tip vs Steel Tip Darts: What’s the Difference?
The main difference between steel tip and soft tip darts is the tip. Steel tips are made of steel and are therefore sharp, whereas soft tips are plastic and blunt to the touch.
Additionally, steel tips are much heavier than their soft tip counterparts.
Soft tip darts are a more recent addition to the sport and are popular among beginners, primarily because they are much safer than steel tip darts, particularly for young players.
What Are Steel Tip Darts?
- Steel is highly durable and won’t bend or break for many years
- Darts made with steel are not all that safe to use
- Steel tip darts are heavier than soft tip darts
What Are Soft Tip Darts?
- They work with electronic dartboards, which automatically record your score
- Soft tip darts are lightweight, making them easier to throw
- They are also much safer to use in contrast to steel tips, making them safer for young players
- They are less accurate. With less weight, the dart’s trajectory tends to deviate more
- Bounce-outs are more common due to their lack of penetration
So, in the battle of darts, which is better, steel tip or soft tip darts? Well, it entirely depends on who’s playing. If you’re new to darts or playing with young children, we’d recommend soft tips. Otherwise, if you’re a more experienced player, hoping for a more traditional playing experience, you’re best choosing steel tip darts.